Monday 30 December 2013

Review: Bobbi Brown Lip Colour in Carnation (12)


 Hello, i hope you are having a good Christmas break with your family and friends and got lots of lovely presents and gifts for christmas, and feel like a very lucky, spoilt girl (or boy!), i certainly do. This weeks posts are all going to be about some of the lovely christmas gifts I got, all with reviews, descriptions of the product, dupes (if they are beauty related!) and prices, especially if they are in the sales.

So I bet you are wondering what todays post is going to be about (if you haven't read the title yet!), do you want to know what it is, yes...... The Bobbi Brown Lip Colour in Carnation. When i put my hand into my stocking on Christmas Morning , and brought out a little rectangle box, I opened it and as soon as i saw the white Bobbi Brown writing I practically had a heart attack. It was only till after I had stopped hyperventilating, I thought to check the colour, and guess what it was like the most amazing peachy, pinky, coral colour, that was perfect for me!


Just like the colour of a Carnation flower, the lipstick is a shade of pink that has many tones of peach, coral, brown and reds, and is a perfect everyday, usable colour. Like any Bobbi Brown Lipstick, you can expect high quality from it and long staying power, but I never expected it to look so luxurious on the lips, hydrate them throughout the day and to stay put for around 3-4 hours, (but with me eating lunch in that time and licking my lips because it was so yummy). This colour is a really universal shade that will suit anyone, the pinks and peachy tones suit people like me with a fair/ medium complexion, I also imagine it would suit olive, medium and even darker complexions because of the huge mix of tones and shades in the colour. For example the peachy/ coral tones really complement olive, tanned and medium complexions because of their sun kissed skin, and the baby pinks really complement fairer complexions because it doesn't make them look fairer than they actually are, and it doesn't mix their lips into their skin.


For a more daytime look, I would recommend wearing this lipstick lightly over a Chapstick or lip balm to keep the lips moisturised all day, and to add the tiniest bit of powder over the lips to keep it from rubbing off too. You can wear this lipstick in the day with a neutral eye, that has subtle colours of brown and nude eye shadows and also with some smudged brown pencil eye liner to create a softer, less harsh look, but still letting your eyes slightly pop.

For a more evening/ party look, I would recommend wearing this lipstick like you would in the daytime (with some Chapstick underneath to stop your lips from drying up), but maybe adding a lipgloss of a similar colour over the top to add a more dramatic and more party look and a lipliner in a similar colour to define the lips more, and give them a better shape. A great lipgloss of a similar colour is the Bobbi Brown Brightening Lip Gloss in Peach, the colour isn't a exact match but it really complements the colour of the lipstick though, also a lipliner in a very similar colour to Carnation is the Bobbi Brown LipLiner in Rose, the colour match is almost identical and blends into the lipstick seamlessly.


Now you maybe thinking is there a dupe to this lipstick, and preferably a drugstore dupe, well I have done some researching and so far I haven't been able to find a drugstore or cheap version of this amazing colour. But when I was looking through my makeup collection i found my Smashbox Megatint Long Wear Lipstick in Whirl and thought I would just see if it was a similar colour, and to my delight it was almost a exact replica. Astonishingly the colour is the same shade of peachy rose, and has very similar properties to the Bobbi Brown version, they are both moisturising, stay on for around 3-4 hours (with eating though), and look luxurious on the lips. You maybe now thinking that Smashbox is a high end makeup brand, and probably has the same price as the Bobbi Brown version, the Smashbox price retails for £15.50 in Boots, which is a lot for a lipstick but is worth it, but the Bobbie Brown version only retails for £3.50 more at House of Fraser, at £19, which is also worth the price, so what one do you go for. If £15.50 is a stretch for you I would recommend getting the Smashbox Megatint Long Wear Lip Colour in Whirl, but if you can spare £3.50 more i would defiantly recommend the Bobbi Brown Lip Colour in Carnation.

I hope you have enjoyed todays review post, I really enjoy writing reviews on products I love especially if I am obsessed with it at the moment (could you tell i was obsessed with the Bobbi Brown Lipstick). If you did like it then well today was your lucky day because all this week i am
doing beauty reviews on the products I got for Christmas, and if you want a sneak peek of my next post it is fragrance related, and I have posted a picture of it on my Instagram page (look to the right of this page for the link!). If you do find the picture, comment on it saying The Student Beauty Bag Blog sent me hear, it can be are own little game!

Links
http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Bobbi+Brown+Lip+Colour/735056643,default,pd.html
http://www.boots.com/en/Smashbox-Megatint-Long-Wear-Lip-Colour_1326539/

Izzyxxxx

1 comment: